Friday, April 27, 2012

Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity

My first impression of this small book was surprise.  I expected a large volume to review regarding "A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity" as I read Primal, the latest book by Mark Batterson.  


What would your faith look like if it were stripped down to the simplest elements possible? Storyteller and pastor Mark Batterson explores the four foundational principles of Great Commandment Christianity: compassion (heart), wonder (soul), curiosity (mind), and power (strength)---and supplies a new reformation beginning for your generation, your church, and your life!


Mark begins his story within the catacombs of ancient Rome while he and his wife were on vacation.  The following can quickly sum up what is the primal essence of Christianity:

    "As I tried to absorb the significance of where I was, I couldn't help but wonder if our generation has conveniently forgotten how inconvenient it can be to follow in the footsteps of Christ.  I couldn't help but wonder if we have diluted the truths of Christianity and settled for superficialities.  I couldn't help but wonder if we have accepted a form of Christianity that is more educated but less powerful, more civilized but less compassionate, more acceptable but less authentic than that which our spiritual ancestors practiced."

The four foundational principles are easily outlined and the heart, the soul, the mind and the strength are each defined with stories and scriptures.  

One of my favorite remarks in this book is, "We don't see the world as it is; we see the world as we are.  So wonder, or the lack thereof, simply reveals what is in our souls.  If our souls are full of wonder, then life is wonderful.  Why?  Because you see with your soul. And when you see with your soul, everything becomes a reflection of the glory of God."

If you are a Christian, I believe this book will renew your spirit to retain your soul.  If you are searching and questioning then I suggest reading this book.  One thing I like about Mark Batterson is his honesty and his encouragement to ask questions.

I give this book 5 stars for reminding us of the 4 basic principles of living we each need.

Thanks to WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for sending me a free copy of this book to review.